Savannah Business Opportunity Program
About the Program
The Savannah Business Opportunity (SBO) program is a new City program aimed at increasing utilization of local small businesses in all areas of City procurement. The SBO program helps spur local economic growth and allows small firms to compete at the prime contractor level.
Businesses that meet required revenue and employee thresholds are eligible for certification as Savannah Business Enterprises (SBEs), allowing them to participate in sheltered City contracts. Additionally, the City has established cumulative annual participation goals to increase subcontracting opportunities for Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs) certified at the state and federal level.
|SBE Application||DBE Application||Georgia DBE Firms|
|Doing Business with the City||Vendor Portal||Technical Assistance|
The Office of Business Opportunity (OBO) manages the SBO Program, which includes:
- SBE Certification - A formal certification process to determine a firm’s ownership and control, number of employees, average annual gross revenue, personal net worth, and a minimum of one year of business operation.
- DBE Goal Setting - A cumulative annual goal of participation by DBEs is established for the total dollar value of all eligible City of Savannah contracts, excluding federal and sole-source contracts. The annual goal may be adjusted by Mayor and Council.
- SBE Reserves - Contracts below $100,000 are reserved for qualified SBEs unless two or fewer certified SBEs are registered in the City of Savannah’s Supplier Portal to perform the work.
- Compliance – Various compliance activities including pre- and post-award meetings, onsite monitoring visits, subcontractor payment tracker, notices of non-compliance, and other enforcement.
- Other Program Activities and Support - The City maintains and regularly updates a directory of firms registered and certified as SBEs on the City’s website. The City also provides services to support the growth of D/SBEs, including business training, mentorship, bonding assistance, access to capital, and networking events.
The Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise (M/WBE) Program expired on December 31, 2017. Currently certified M/WBE firms are encouraged to participate in the Savannah Business Opportunity Program (SBO) and become certified as a Small Business Enterprise (SBE) or a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE).
For assistance, please forward all general information questions to the
SBO Program Coordinator at 912-652-3582.